Friday 19 April 2013

Milling About

I have a lot of projects on the go right now, as usual.  All my job titles are technically either "Costume Designer" or "Assistant Costume Designer," but yesterday as I sat working away surrounded by felt and buckram, I realized - for this one play, I'm basically a milliner.  There are three specialty hats that need to be made, and combined with the bonnet I made a couple of weeks ago, I've been learning more about making hats than I ever thought I'd bother with!

But hats are fun.  A lot of work, and in my case because I get bored reading directions, a lot of trial and error as I'm determined to figure things out myself.  They're worth the effort.  Buckram is such a cool thing to work with - I've been using my steamer to wilt and shape it and it's kind of magical.  If you're looking for a new thing to experiment with this weekend, I'd recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment